I’ve made this loaf cake quite a few times and it’s turned out well on each occasion.
It’s vegan and dairy-free (no eggs and no milk) and you don’t need a mixer or fancy equipment to make it. And it’s got chocolate in it. It’s a winner on all counts!
If you keep it in an airtight container, it’ll last three or four days, assuming you didn’t eat it all straight after baking it.
- 3 medium-sized bananas (you’re going to mash them up anyway, so it’s fine if they’re ripe/very ripe)
- 115g caster sugar
- 60g melted (non-dairy) margarine
- 180g self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g chocolate chips (or smash up a 100g bar of plain, dark chocolate in a food bag, with a rolling pin or other heavy object!)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180° C / Gas Mark 4.
- Mash the bananas completely with a fork and add the sugar. Mix well.
- Add the melted butter. Mix again. The mix does not have to be completely even.
- Add the flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin. It fits nicely into a 2lb tin.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes. If the centre of the cake is not done but you are happy with the colour on top of the cake, leave in oven for an extra 10 minutes but cover with tin foil.
- Take out of oven and leave it to cool for at least 30 minutes. Just be patient.
Close the door and cut yourself a nice thick slice of cake. Dust it with a little icing sugar, and put a blob of cashew creme on the side.
Based originally on this recipe: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/32977/egg-free-banana-and-chocolate-chip-loaf.aspx so thanks, love and respect to all concerned.
Like this? Try these recipes next: