This golden syrup cake is very easy to make and tastes delicious. It’s a very moist cake and it will last about three days if you keep it in an airtight container.
It only requires a handful of ingredients and one of those is hot water!
- 100g vegan margarine
- 75g sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 150g golden syrup
- 150ml boiling water from the kettle
- Optional: a handful of glacé cherries, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / 350ºF
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper or margarine.
- Beat together the sugar and margarine in a bowl until combined, then slowly mix in the golden syrup
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix well
- Add the boiling water, mix everything together so there are no lumps
- Optional – if you’re using glacé cherries in your cake, roll them first in a little flour and plop them into the cake mixture as you pour it into the baking tin (coating them in flour stops them sinking to the bottom of the cake)
- Bake in the lower half of your oven for 40 minutes, then cool on a rack
- Eat and enjoy!
As an alternative to glacé cherries, try mixed peel instead
Inspired by a recipe at Heavenly Vegan Baking. Love, respect and thanks to them.