The texture of crushed chickpeas with mayonnaise, vinegar and sweetcorn makes an excellent vegetarian and vegan substitute for tuna mayo.
These chickpea salad wraps are quick and easy to make. There is no more effort than a little mashing of the chickpeas. From there on in, it’s a simple assembly job.
This makes an excellent sandwich filling for work-day lunches and school sandwiches (no nuts or dairy in these at all).
All the ingredients are naturally gluten-free too. Just choose your wraps/tortillas/bread/crackers etc accordingly.
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium-sized carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, thinly chopped, for crunch
- ½ red onion, finely chopped, or 4 spring onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup tinned sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
- 2 heaped tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp of vinegar (apple cider or white wine both work well)
- 1 tsp dried thyme or mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm the chickpeas gently in a small pan for 3-4 minutes (or 60 seconds in a bowl in the microwave). You’re not trying to cook them or boil them, you just want to warm them up.
- Mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or fork until they are chunky but no longer whole.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Season to taste. You want the sharpness of the vinegar to cut through, but you still want to get the flavour of the chickpeas, the sweetcorn and onion.
- Spoon onto your choice of wraps/tortillas and roll ‘em up.
Inspired by The Vegan Version. Thank you x