Five minutes’ work for lunchtime perfection.
Try this once and you’ll be making this tasty, tofu non-egg mayo filling for your sandwiches regularly.
The quantity below is sufficient to make 3-4 decent sandwiches using typical sliced bread from the supermarket. If you’ve got some firm tofu left over after making this, try my vegan scrambled not-eggs. It’s super-tasty and you’ve already got most of the ingredients out of the cupboard!
- 200g firm tofu (UK: 200g is half a block of this Cauldron firm tofu, it’s easily available in supermarkets)
- 1 Tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp Himalayan black salt (Kala Namak) – this is essential, to make it taste like egg
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 2-3 Tablespoons of non-dairy mayo
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- Handful of chopped, fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional: a pinch of cayenne pepper if you want to spice it up
- Press the tofu between your hands to remove most of the excess liquid. Crumble the tofu into a large bowl with your hands (as opposed to using your feet, I guess).
- Add all the ingredients to the tofu and mix well. Taste and season to your preference, be liberal with the pepper as it works well in here.
- Keep this in the fridge until you’re ready to use it, then pile a big old heap of it on to your favourite bread, bagels, wraps, sandwich rolls etc. Top it off with some mixed salad leaves and a tiny drizzle of olive oil if you like. Enjoy.
- Keep it covered and your non-egg mayo will be happy in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Where to buy the Himalayan salt? Many of the larger UK supermarkets stock it. It’s also on Amazon of course – http://amzn.eu/cyGlgd7
- Inspired by Vegan Richa’s blog post. Thanks x
Like this? Try these easy recipes and meals too:
Farinata (vegan savoury pancakes/omelettes)