Some days, you want to eat something a little different.
These savoury cauliflower popcorn bites are incredibly moreish and you can spike them with whatever flavours you fancy.
Oven-roasted cauliflower tastes so different from raw, steamed or boiled cauliflower that it might as well be a different vegetable entirely. It takes on a different texture, and it’s a sucker for taking on flavours you add.
A whole head of cauliflower costs less than £1 and it’ll provide enough for some serious snacking for two people. Obviously this is meant to be a side dish for grown-up, sit-at-the-table meals, but it’s also rather good when you’re lounging at home watching the TV on Saturday afternoon.
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 cup of gram flour
- 1 cup of soya milk (or any other plant milk)
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/430F
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, milk and seasonings into a batter.
- Now you need to get that cauliflower into nice, bite-sized florets. Nothing too big but not too much cauli-crumbs either. Cut off the stalk (if the stalk is not too tough, you can chop it into small pieces and use it in this recipe too.) Put all the florets into the batter and mix them around so they’re nicely coated.
- Place them in an oven-proof dish that’s lined with baking parchment and cook them in the top of your oven for 15-20 minutes. They’ll start to get charred and crispy at the edges – don’t worry, this is good flavour!
- Check them after 15-20 minutes. Now’s the time to add your flavours. I used sea salt and vinegar on half the cauliflower, and a sweet chilli mix (1 tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce mixed with 2 tablespoons of olive oil) on the other half. Then back in the oven for a final 10 minutes.
- Serve with a side of your flavourings i.e. a dipping bowl of chilli sauce, or a pile of salt and a mini-bowl of vinegar.
Inspired by Vegan Olive’s Cauliflower Buffalo Wings – thank you.