Cherry and Almond Cake (Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free)
This is an easy recipe. There aren’t too many ingredients, the preparation process is very quick and the cake itself is delicious! It would be lovely with some of my cashew creme too.
I originally found this recipe in a magazine called (I think) “Vegan Food And Living“. Yes, yes, I do still read old style, dead-tree media like books and magazines!
I am reproducing it here as I saw it and if that’s your magazine or your recipe, thank you very much.
- 200g self raising flour (gluten-free or normal, either will work fine)
- 150g ground almonds
- 200g sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 130ml melted coconut oil
- 300ml soy milk
- 2 tsp almond essence
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 200g glace cherries, some chopped and some whole
- For the topping:
- icing sugar
- flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 23cm springform tin
- Place all the dry ingredients apart from the cherries in a large bowl
- Pour all the wet ingredients into a jug and mix well
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well
- Stir in the cherries
- Pour into the tin and bake for 40 minutes. Turn the tin halfway through cooking to make sure the top browns evenly.
- Once cooked, allow the cake to cool, then decorate with the icing sugar and flaked almonds
Like this? Try these too:
- Bakewell Tart (vegan, dairy-free and damn delicious)
- Vegan Egg Mayo
- My notes from Tokyo. Part 1: on being vegan in Japan
- My notes from Tokyo. Part 2: Television, Cuteness and Vending Machines