Since going vegan a few months ago, I’ve been looking for something to replace my daily, lunchtime chocolate fix. OK, to replace *some* of my daily chocolate fix.
So I’m currently experimenting with all manner of different energy bars, cereal bars etc.
This recipe for Peanut Butter Energy Bites crossed my path so I decided to give it a try:
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 5 Medjool dates – soaked for about 5 min in hot water
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- Put the oats in your food processor and blitz them until they turn into a powder.
- Add the soaked dates, peanut butter and chia seeds. Blend well.
- It turns into a giant lump of sticky mixture but don’t worry, it’s supposed to do that. This is the stickiest substance you’ll ever encounter. It’s the superglue of foods. You could probably use it to repair broken ornaments and fix punctured car tyres. It tastes good though, so just deal with it.
- Roll into balls about 2-3cm in size. You should get about 8 from this recipe.
- Refrigerate them for at least a couple of hours before eating.
- Cocoa powder. Chocolate energy bites! Yay!
- Desiccated coconut
- Rolled oats (I used these – see picture above). Toast the oats in a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes until they start to go brown. Let them cool before using.